Saturday, June 21, 2008

Just got back from War, Inc.

I was very much looking forward to the movie, and went to see it tonight in a tiny theater near the University of Washington. It was the late show, and the theater wasn't exactly packed. I felt a little sad about that. I know that it is still in the test market phase, and how it does now will impact what kind of broader distribution it gets.

It was more or less what I expected in most ways, although there were of course surprises. It was funny, but it also had a rawness, and it hit a little too close to home to be a very comfortable movie to watch. I kind of expected that--I knew the film was made to provoke thought about how the United States is operating right now in the world. But I felt a little more uncomfortable than I expected.

At any rate, it's not a masterpiece. But it's a funny film that I hope will help people to see something that may not be comfortable, but is important.

And it was pretty fun to see goody-two-shoes Hilary Duff (and I am fond of her for that, being a former goody-two-shoes myself) play the tramp-like, oversexed pop star too.

Showtimes here.

No comments: