Monday, June 02, 2008

The Coolness of Local Cooling

Local Cooling is a tiny little utility that is free to download and use; it has customizable settings for saving energy on your computer. I heard about Local Cooling some time ago, but didn't install it because...OK, well, because of my impatience. I have an old computer that I use with my son and we pretty much run it most of the time, for two reasons--one, because of not wanting to shut down the browser windows we have open, and two, because the computer is a slug and takes forever to start up. But I got a new used computer recently which is much faster, so I decided to give it a go. On the new computer. Because you have to start somewhere, right?

Local Cooling will shut down your monitor, spin down your disks, and even turn your computer off after a predetermined time of inactivity. You can choose predetermined settings based on how much energy you want to save, and you can also tweak the settings to make them work better for you.

The thing I like best about it is that I tend to keep a lot of browser windows open and since it forces my computer to shut down with inactivity, Firefox remembers where I was and asks me if I want to restore the browser windows. Very handy.

It also tells you how much electricity you've saved, and the rough equivalents in number of trees and gallons of oil. To see those numbers ticking up is pretty motivating. Now I just need to figure out how to use it with the slug in a way that won't make us crazy!

Link:
Local Cooling website

No comments: