Saturday, May 31, 2008

Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream

Today I went to see the Pachamama Alliance symposium, Awakening the Dreamer, Changing the Dream. I'd been wanting to go for some time, so was happy that things came together for me to go today.

Basically we were taken on a journey--to see the trajectory of human interaction with the Earth-- and given a chance to express how we feel at this moment when so many of us know we are headed into dangerous, treacherous waters, facing decisions which will impact the future of most life on Earth. It was very emotional, and I felt a lot of grief.

The journey didn't stop there, however--we were shown how many people are standing up, how many things are being done; whether it will be enough of course is anybody's guess--but surely if we do nothing we know that we won't like to see what happens.

One of the quotations shared was this, a favorite of mine from another life:

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

-George Bernard Shaw

I knew much of this stuff going into it; many of the speakers were familiar and the information wasn't really new for the most part. What was powerful for me was to connect with other human beings and share a experience that encouraged me to push myself more and be less afraid about stepping out to do what I can.

Links:

Awakening the Dreamer Symposium Information
Pachamama Alliance website
For The Grandchildren website




No comments: