Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My New President

I wasn't going to take anything for granted this election, although I was trying hard to be resigned, whatever the outcome, knowing that I don't always know the impact of events in the true scheme of things, and that sometimes what seems terrible is just what is needed to move things closer to better.

I had a hard time driving home tonight for the tears. Hallelujah! I didn't know if I would ever live to see this day.

Today I am so proud of America. I have always loved American ideals, but I was born during a terrible war, and my innocence about America was not long lived.

The world will never be quite the same after today. There is still much work left to do, to get us closer to what we strive to be as Americans and what we long to be as human beings. But today is like the glimmering rainbow I saw this past Saturday, the rainbow we watched from the middle of a pouring rain. It is a promise of hope, and I'm glad my son is old enough to remember this day, although he can't really fully understand what it means—for our country, and for him, as a mixed-race child.

Mr. Obama, soon it will be time to start holding your feet to the fire, to make sure you remember the people who helped bring you to this day. But right now, I'm just proud of you, and of the people of this country, who have done what many people thought could not be done.



Link:
The full slide show on the Huffington Post

No comments: