Saturday, May 24, 2008

War Inc. and John Cusack on Thom Hartmann's Radio Show

I heard John Cusack yesterday on the Thom Hartmann show, speaking about his new movie, War Inc. He was talking about how difficult it had been to get support for the movie, which is a satirical look at the outsourcing of war. How the corporate media had basically only started to talk about the movie when the buzz was building to a certain point elsewhere, and how reviews in the corporate press had been for the most part lukewarm or outright critical. He reminded me that there was a time, not so very long ago, when we were being openly warned to watch what we say--that in essence, we needed to destroy democracy in order to save it.

Now, I have been a fan of John Cusack since I saw him in The Sure Thing my freshman year of college, and I have admired much--not all, but much--of his work.

I think this movie brings out into the open what has not had enough discussion here at home--what the implications are of outsourcing military functions. We have seen some of what KBR and Blackwater have done in Iraq, but I don't think that there is probably enough awareness of what this has meant in real terms.

So I'm hoping it will make it out of LA and New York into wider distribution; it looks like it will be funny as well as thought-provoking.



You can download Thom Hartmann's May 23 interview with John Cusack here (in the second hour):

KPOJ Thom Hartmann Podcast Page

No comments: